London, England, City Directories, 1736-1943
Source: London Directories held by the London Metropolitan Archives, London, England. Images produced by permission of the City of London Corporation. The City of London gives no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for the purpose of the information provided. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R 0HB (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Infringement of the above condition may result in legal action.
About London, England, City Directories, 1736-1943
This database is a collection of directories for London from 1736 to 1943. Various types of directories exist, including:
- Street: listing of residents, businesses, and tradesmen according to street address
- Commercial: includes businesses, but may also include private residences; generally an alphabetical listing of traders
- Trade: not just for businesses, but anyone with a recognized trade or profession; an alphabetical listing of trades and businesses
- Court: lists wealthy residents and government officials
- Post Office: listing of householder's names and addresses
UK, Registers of Employees of the East India Company and the India Office, 1746-1939
Source: The Wohl Library of the Institute of Historical Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London, England, Registers of Employees of the East India company from 1707 to 1861 and the India Office from 1862 to 1947.
About These Records
The records list the employees, both civil and military, of the East India Company and later, the India Office. You may be able to find (where available):
- Military Rank
- Place of residence or military service
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Date of marriage
- Name of parents
For my genealogy guide books, visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html, whilst details of my research service are at www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk. Further content is also published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BritishGENES.