On Saturday morning I gave the opening talk at the Lanarkshire Family History Show at Motherwell Concert Hall, looking at the history of an Irish townland and house, and to a packed and well engaged room.
I only had a short while after to say a few hellos to friends on the main floor of the fair afterwards, but it was doing a busy trade when I was there, with many familar faces present. Keep an eye on Scottish Indexes (www.scottishindexes.com) over the next few months in particular, they have a few nice developments coming along soon!
After a mad hop into Glasgow on the train, I then attended the latest meeting of the Glasgow branch of the Aberdeenshire and North East Scotland FHS, where I gave a talk on Scottish church records, and the history of the Kirk. A few unfortunate gremlins with the technology meant dispensing with the projector altogether, and doing it the auld fashioned way, loud and proud with no slides, but I think I got away with it!
Some forthcoming talks:
- October 19th 2019, Manchester & Lancashire FHS, Manchester, England - Down and Out in Scotland: Researching Ancestral Crisis
- October 21st 2019, Glasgow & West of Scotland FHS. Irish genealogy - house history, and Q&A
- November 13th 2019, Central Scotland FHS, Stirling, Scottish Research Resources before 1800
- November 19th 2019 - University of Strathclyde students session
- January 18th 2020, Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS (Edinburgh branch) - Down and Out in Scotland: Researching Ancestral Crisis
Order Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed) at https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Tracing-Your-Irish-Family-History-on-the-Internet-Paperback/p/16483. My next Scotland 1750-1850: Beyond the OPRs course starts 4 November 2019 - see https://www.pharostutors.com/details.php?coursenumber=302. Further news published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page, and on Twitter @genesblog.