Tuesday 13 March 2018

Glasgow burial registers online

As part of the new look results pages for FamilySearch (see http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/new-familysearch-layout-reveals-many.html), I have been looking at the catalogue results lisiting on the Scotland search page. Although it can still be quite hard work sifting through the thousands of results listings, the use of filters helps to an extent to narrow down the numbers to help locate some gems. Amongst these, I have discovered that many of Glasgow's burial registers are now freely available online.

Records for the Glasgow Necropolis, the Eastern Necropolis, the Southern Necropolis, Riddrie Park Cemetery, Lambhill Cemetery, Cardonald Cemetery, and many others, are available - see https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bkeywords%3Aglasgow&page=1&topic1=Birth,%20Marriage%20and%20Death~Cemeteries.

Not all records are as yet available for each cemetery as digital microfilms - for the Eastern Necropolis, for example, digitised registers covering 1861-1874, 1878-1885, 1912-1944, 1944-1995 are available, but the gaps exist only in the form of conventional microfilms, at least for now. But I have already made many finds for my family in Glasgow through the records.



So if you have Glaswegian ancestry, have fun!

Chris

For my genealogy guide books, visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html, whilst details of my research service are at www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk. Further content is also published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BritishGENES.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Chris
    Unfortunately I could not actually access any records via your link. I was either directed to go to a family history centre or nothing was shown. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not all microfilms have been digitised within each collection - only those with a camera icon to the far right side of the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again Chris
    Got it. I thought when you mentioned Cardonald that they were available. Managed to get some views for Craigton.
    Thanks for all the updates and information you post. I find it very useful.

    ReplyDelete