Thursday 15 October 2015

Thanks to Central Scotland Family History Society

A huge thank you to Central Scotland Family History Society (www.csfhs.org.uk) last night in Stirling for their kind hospitality. I gave a talk on the history of Scottish marriages, and how to find the relevant records.

Lots of surprises for folk on the weirdness of Scots Law, and I came away also learning a couple of things from the audience - such as the story of the local minister in Stirling only too happy to perform marriages for folk who never went to church, when the other ministers refused to do so for that reason - "if no-one else wants them, I'm having them!" The talk was a last minute arrangement, as the previously scheduled speaker was ill, so this was in fact my second talk to the society in the last six months. Always worth a visit, as they always make nice coffee!

Thanks again!


Chris

For details on my genealogy guide books, including my recently released Discover Irish Land Records and Down and Out in Scotland: Researching Ancestral Crisis, please visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html. My Pinterest account is at https://www.pinterest.com/chrismpaton/.

No comments:

Post a Comment