Monday 29 September 2014

More on Scottish Valuation Roll from 1875

A quick note from Ken Nisbet of the Scottish Genealogy Society (www.scotsgenealogy.com), concerning the 1875 Valuation Roll on ScotlandsPeople (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk):

Hi Chris, as you are aware the 1875 valuation rolls index is free to use. As you know the index does not tell you who owned the property if your relative was a tenant, a good way to do this is to go to the box marked Place and put the name of the street or farm name etc. in, this will tell you who owned the property

For example I know my relatives lived at Broomhill in the Parish of Cawdor Nairnshire. I got to the county, put in Nairnshire, then parish Cawdor, and Place Broomhill. It states there are 5 entries. I then click to access the index and it tells me that Earl Cawdor owned all the properties and the the names of the tenants including my relative Charles Macarthur who rented the farm.

(With thanks to Ken)

Chris

Now available for UK research is the new second edition of the best selling Tracing Your Family History on the Internet: A Guide for Family Historians, whilst my new book British and Irish Newspapers is also now out. And please consider purchasing the great new version of Caledonia by The Libations at 79p via www.caledonia2014.com - all profits go to help fund Scottish foodbanks

No comments:

Post a Comment