Tuesday 23 May 2017

Appalling news from Manchester

The whole of the UK is in shock today, with the news that last night a suicide bomber detonated a nail bomb after a concert at the Manchester Arena in the city centre, killing at least 22 people, including children, and injuring dozens more.

My mother lived in Manchester for several years before passing away in 2013, and both my wife and I still have family living there today. I have always considered the city to be the jewel of England, and the response of everyday Mancunians last night was humbling to witness via social media and the broadcast news.

Last night's cowardly attack was a shocking and appalling incident. As someone who grew up in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, my heart goes out to all those who have been affected, and to whom I offer my sincere condolences.

With this being a genealogy news blog, the only relevant piece of associated news to bring you is that Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society has just tweeted that "Our @MLFHS help desk was open as usual today in Central Library and will be again tomorrow" (i.e. Wednesday).

Chris

My next 5 week Scottish Research Online course commences Sept 11th 2017 - details at https://www.pharostutors.com/details.php?coursenumber=102.
For details on my Scottish & Irish genealogy guide books, please visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html.
For my genealogy research service, please visit http://www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk.

1 comment:

  1. So very very sad. I used to have a pen pal in Manchester when I was ten years old. I thought of her today.

    ReplyDelete