Friday 27 March 2015

British Army WW1 service records on FamilySearch

FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org) has added the surviving British Army First World War service returns from the the English based National Archives' War Office (collections WO363 and WO364) to its site, in a collection entitled United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920. Although the index is accessible, the images can only be viewed at an LDS family history centre or to 'signed-in members of supporting organisations'.

On the available index, my first search hasn't boded well with regard to its accuracy. I did a search for my wife's great uncle Martin Colleton. He is there, but the site tells me he is from 'Carrick, Fife, Scotland'. No, he really, really wasn't. He came from Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary in Ireland. Tread carefully!

(With thanks to John Reid's Anglo-Celtic Connections blog)

Chris

For details on my latest book Down and Out in Scotland: Researching Ancestral Crisis, and my other genealogy guide books please visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html. To commission me for genealogical research, please visit my research site at www.scotlandsgreateststory.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment