Tuesday 9 June 2015

Heading back to Ontario in September

I'm delighted to say that I will be once again returning to Ontario in September for two fantastic genealogy conference events, and having now spent much of today sorting the flights and accommodation out, here's a quick heads up on what I will be getting up to...

For starters, on Friday 18th and Saturday 19th September, I will be speaking at a conference run by the Toronto Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society (http://torontofamilyhistory.org). The main event itself will be on Saturday 19th, where an all day workshop will be held, provisionally entitled Irish Genealogy: Focus on Ulster, and I'll be in good company at that with several speakers, including the excellent Dr. William Roulston from the Ulster Historical Foundation (www.ancestryireland.com). Prior to this, however, on Friday 18th, I will also be giving a talk with my Scottish hat on, between 3pm and 5pm. Registration for these events will be opening next month (July), so do keep an eye out on the society's website for further details!

No sooner will I be finished in Toronto than I will be jumping straight onto an evening flight to Ottawa, to get me to the 21st Annual British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa (BIFHSGO) Family History Conference, where on Sunday 20th I will be giving three Scottish based talks. Details for this conference are already online at http://bifhsgo.ca/aem.php?eid=1, and the three talks I will be giving are as follows:

9.00-10.15 Using Scottish Land Records
10.45-12.00 Scottish Inheritance Records
15.15-16.30 Scottish Marriage: Instantly Buckled for Life


The BIFHSGO conference is in fact a packed three day affair, I'm simply gatecrashing the last day! Please do consult the website for the full brilliant programme that has been lined up, with speakers including Maureen Taylor, Thomas MacEntee, Christine Woodcock, Janet Few, Sher Leetooze, Shirley-Ann Pyefinch, Gloria Tubman, Gail Dever, and Dena Palamedes.

I've spoken to both societies before, and can assure you it's going to be packed with genealogy, it's going to be informative, by Scottish and Irish standards it is going to be warm, and above all, it is going to be fun - I look forward to hopefully seeing a few of you there!

Chris

The latest British GENES podcast is available at http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/podcasts.html. For details on my latest book Down and Out in Scotland: Researching Ancestral Crisis, and my other genealogy guide books, please visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment