Friday, 26 July 2019

More Oxfordshire burials added to Deceased Online

From Deceased Online (www.deceasedonline.com):

More records from the historic city of Oxford available on Deceased Online

Headington Cemetery joins the Oxford cemeteries live on www.deceasedonline.com. Records from 1899 to 2007 are available to search and view, with burial and grave register scans, a grave section location map, and details of other burials in the grave.

In the 1800's the need for a new place of burial for Headington residents became urgent as the village grew, and the number of yearly burials increased in the existing burial ground at St Andrew's Church. Two acres of land were purchased for the purpose from Miss Mary Latimer in 1884 and a mortuary chapel designed by Wilkinson and Booth was built in 1885. In 1932 Headington Cemetery was extended to make space for even more burials.

Headington cemetery provides the final resting place of many notable people from the 20th century. Despite being almost blind, Henry Sanderson Furniss, 1st Baron Sanderson and son of Thomas Sanderson Furniss, graduated from Hertford College, University of Oxford, with a Master of Arts in 1893. He lectured at Ruskin College, an educational institution in Oxford for adults lacking in formal education, from 1907 to 1916 and went on to serve as the Principal of the college. His title of 1st Baron Sanderson of Hunmanby, York, was bestowed upon him in recognition of his distinguished career in education.

John de Monins Johnson, printer to the University of Oxford from 1925 to 1946, was buried in Headington in 1956. Johnson was awarded an Hon D.Litt for his work on the Oxford English Dictionary in 1928. He also collected printed ephemera; any printed material not designed to be kept or preserved. The word epherema comes from the Greek 'ephemeros' meaning, "lasting only one day, short lived". Johnson's printed epherema collection is recognised as one of the most important and significant collections in the world and was transferred to the Bodleian Library in 1968.

Major William Lauriston Melville Lee, author of "A History of Police in England", rests in Headington after his death in 1955. In 1916 Melville Lee was appointed as the head of the new Parliamentary Military Security Department No 2 (PMS2), established to spy on the British Socialist Movement and protect the British manufacturing vital to the war effort. The department worked for only a year before the controversial 'agent provocateur' methods used against Alice Wheeldon and her family resulted in it being closed down and Major Melville Lee's retirement to his house in Headington. He championed a different way of policing, a kind of policing committed to public service and prevention of crime.



Further information:
The other Oxford City Council cemeteries available to view on Deceased Online comprise Botley, Rosehill, and Wolvercote
Other local records in the region available on Deceased Online courtesy of the National Archives for Oxfordshire, Berkshire, and Buckinghamshire.

Chris

Pre-order Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed) for just £11.99 at https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Tracing-Your-Irish-Family-History-on-the-Internet-Paperback/p/16483. Details of my genealogical research service are available at www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk. Further news published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page, and on Twitter @genesblog.

No comments:

Post a comment