Wednesday 15 May 2013

Daniel Carron steps down from Library and Archives Canada

Wow.

Daniel Carron has just announced that he is leaving his post as head of Library and Archives Canada - here's his official announcement:

I am informing you of my decision to leave Library and Archives Canada as of today. Over the last four years, we have made a lot of progress in modernizing our institution. I am very proud of the accomplishments and conscious of the work yet to be done. The challenges remain vast and fascinating. I now believe it is time for someone else to take on and build the necessary support to continue to make the institution increasingly responsive to the digital environment. I would like to thank all of those who have largely contributed to the progress made and encourage you to continue this collaboration

Readers of this blog and others will know just how much of a crisis the Canadian archive sector has been undergoing in recent months - at an archive conference I went to in Dundee two weeks ago, attended by many delegates from Canada, the sense of despair and frustration was palpable.

Will this change things in Canada? Watch this space - but I can only assume a few bottles of champagne may be drunk tonight. To archivists in Canada, savour the moment, and hopefully this marks a turning point!

The official announcement can be read in full and bilingually at http://clagov.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/daniel-caron/

(With thanks to Penny Holt)

UPDATE: And here's why he went! See www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/head-of-library-and-archives-resigns-after-billing-taxpayers-for-spanish-lessons-207605161.html

Chris

My new book, Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet, is now available from Pen and Sword. My next Pharos Scottish course, Scotland 1750-1850: Beyond the Old Parish Registers, starts May 15th - see http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/scotland-1750-1850-beyond-oprs-starts.html. Time to smash a few brick walls...!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. What I'd like to know is what precipitated this. As far as I know there were no hints. Maybe I'm just cynical, but something smells fishy to me.

    ReplyDelete