South Shields St. John Presbyterian baptisms 1742-1857
2,264 baptisms at St. John's Presbyterian church (and previous meeting places of this congregation) in South Shields, from the start of the register in 1742 to the end of June 1857. These are the earliest known records for this congregation, which was the oldest Presbyterian congregation in South Shields, and one of the oldest in Northern England.
Durham Wesleyan Methodist Circuit baptisms 1841-1856, 1860-1870
1,939 baptisms on the Durham Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, covering 1841-1856 and 1860-1870. This is the first addition we have made to this collection since Oct 2008. These filled all of the gaps we had, so we now have continuous coverage of this circuit from 1815 to 1957. Unfortunately, the baptism register between Apr 1837 and August 1841 did not survive, or if it did, its location is unknown and it has not been filmed by the Durham Record Office.
Hartlepool Methodist baptisms
Baptisms at three Methodist churches in Hartlepool and West Hartlepool:
- 2,345 baptisms at Brougham Street Primitive Methodist Church from 1834 to Sep 1897. This church was demolished in 1965.
- 398 baptisms at the Wesley Chapel covering 1855 to Feb 1874. This chapel was on Brunswick Street in West Hartlepool, dedicated on 28 May 1855. The congregation quickly outgrew the premises, and a new site was chosen in 1871, on the corner of Raby Rd. and Victoria Rd. The new church, which became known as the Big Wesley, was dedicated on 21 Jan 1873. It closed in 1973, but is still standing today.
- 397 baptisms covering Sep 1855 to Oct 1868 at the Wesley Reform Chapel in West Hartlepool, which opened on 8 June 1851 but no longer exists. The records for this church, at the Teesside Archives, call this location Cambridge Place, but one announcement of its opening says it was on Church Street and that another Reform chapel had also opened in Hartlepool in 1851, but the address is not given.
Stella burials 1852-1956
1,562 burials at Stella St. Cuthbert in Gateshead district from the beginning of 1852 to early 1956.
Hartlepool St. Paul marriages 1906-1935
2,189 marriages at West Hartlepool St. Paul from March 1906 to the end of April 1935. These are fully-detailed civil-registration-era marriages and include the witnesses. This gives us a continuous run of almost 50 years of marriages at this church since the parish of St. Paul was spun off from Stranton All Saints in Nov 1885.
Hartlepool St. Luke marriages 1934-1937
99 marriages at West Hartlepool St. Luke from Sep 1934 to the end of 1937. These are fully-detailed civil-registration-era marriages and include the witnesses.
Earsdon baptisms 1837-1844 enhanced with more information
Updated our existing 1,241 baptisms covering 1837-1844 at Earsdon St. Alban (and its subsidiary chapel at Blyth) in Tynemouth district. Most baptisms gained the following information: mother's maiden surname, the birth places of both parents, and the child's birth date. Starting in Oct 1838, the name of the parish in which the parents married is also included in most of these baptisms. We also corrected a few minor spelling errors in names.
If you purchased a baptism at Earsdon in this period, you should review it to see if any information was added or changed. Log in, click My Account, then click the My Orders tab to see your purchases. If a significant change, such as a name or date, was made, you have already been emailed.
- Hurworth pre-1813 baptisms & burials
- Benfieldside (aka Blackhill or Consett) Cemetery burials 1862-1920
- Forest & Frith burials 1852-1901
- Heighington baptisms & burials 1822-1847
- Tynemouth baptisms 1827-32
(With thanks to Durham Records Online)
Time to find your inner Irish...! All the best online Irish genealogy resources can be found through my book Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet - in print and ebook formats. "Very useful, makes me wish I was Irish!" - Saint Patrick, patron saint.