Thursday 13 June 2019

Don't forget Rootschat!

I've titled this 'Don't forget Rootschat', because that is exactly what I did. Rootschat (www.rootschat.com) is an online genealogy based discussion forum, covering the various countries in Britain and Ireland, and has a vast wealth of expertise.


I made a huge DNA discovery a couple of nights ago which looks like it could break a longstanding brick wall of mine from Northern Ireland (concerning my Watton family from Coleraine). Whilst Googling for additional material to support this discovery an old thread that I subscribed to many years ago about the family on Rootschat popped up, so I posted a short status update. Today I received an incredibly useful follow up, with another member suggesting a book and a resource back home that might assist further. I have now bought the book, and hope to pursue the resource when I can get a chance to visit.

There are many discussion forums online that can equally help, but Rootschat has always been one of the best. I'm looking forward to spending a few more hours on its over the next few days!

Chris

Pre-order Tracing Your Irish Family History on the Internet (2nd ed) for just £11.99 at https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Tracing-Your-Irish-Family-History-on-the-Internet-Paperback/p/16483. Details of my genealogical research service are available at www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk. Further news published daily on The GENES Blog Facebook page, and on Twitter @genesblog.

No comments:

Post a Comment