Approximately 72,000 burial records for the older section of Overleigh Cemetery in the ancient northern English City of Chester have been added to the Deceased Online database.
- The records date from 1850 to 1953; records for 1953 to October 2011, the Overleigh ‘New’ Cemetery, are already on www.deceasedonline.com.
- The records comprise burial register scans and grave details; maps indicating grave locations will be added in the near future.
- Overleigh Cemetery contains many historically interesting burials and beautiful memorials such as the celebrated ‘Queen of the Gypsies’, Mary Finney, and her husband Guilderoy Finney.
- The Cemetery also has many records featuring Irish names so will be of interest to the Irish diaspora.
- The total dataset for the council area, Cheshire West and Chester, now comprises over 200,000 burial and cremation records.
- For further details, see the ‘database coverage’ section at www.deceasedonline.com.
(With thanks to Richard at Deceased Online)
British GENES on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BritishGENES and Twitter @chrismpaton