Tuesday 3 July 2012

Free access to PCY wills index on Origins

Thanks to Jane Hewitt for letting me know that Origins (www.origins.net) is offering free access on July 4th only to its Prerogative Court of York wills and administrations records for England from pre-1858.

Also new from Origins:

Additional Somerset Wills Abstracts 1385-1556

All probate records for the Diocese of Bath and Wells deposited at the probate registry in Exeter were destroyed by enemy action in 1942.

Fortunately there are full (printed) abstracts/extracts to some of these lost wills – collated prior to the devastation of 1942. The volumes listed below contain a complete summary of the details contained within each will, including all names (testators, executors, witnesses and beneficiaries) and places, plus incidental information such as relationships and occupations where found in the original documents.
  • Abstracts of Wells Wills 1539-1541, wills proved in the Consistory Court of Wells
  • Medieval Wills from Wells 1543-1546 and 1554-1556, wills proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Wells.

Surrey Peculiars Probate Index 1660-1794

An index to Wills, Administrations and inventories in the Peculiar Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deanery of Croydon (Surrey) 1660-1794.

The Peculiar Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deanery of Croydon included the Surrey parishes of Barnes, Burstow, Charlwood, Cheam, Croydon, East Horsley, Merstham, Mortlake, Church Newington, Putney, Roehampton, Walworth St Peter and Wimbledon.

Chris

Check out my Scotland's Greatest Story research service www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk
New book: It's Perthshire 1866 - there's been a murder... www.thehistorypress.co.uk/products/The-Mount-Stewart-Murder.aspx (from June 12th 2012)

4 comments:

  1. Well, it's July 4 here in the States and the Origins thing doesn't work for me. I'm a former user so all I had to do was log in, but trying to access the "free" records gave the same results as accessing the records that aren't free - a screen urging me to pick a subscription plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure why that is - I've just logged in and tested it, and it is working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just tried it too and there's nothing on any pages that list the York set indicating it's free today.

    I tried to sign up as a member but I can only become a subscriber, I just the same options as the previous poster in USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't work for me here in Canada

    ReplyDelete